EllaMc

Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 250/736 pages

Mental Illness Lovingly Portrayed

Challenger Deep - Brendan Shusterman, Neal Shusterman

“Dead kids are put on pedestals, but mentally ill kids get hidden under the rug.”

Thank you, Neal Shusterman for doing exactly the opposite.

What a wonderful way to portray the internal struggle of psychosis. This is both original, understandable and wildly effective. We find ourselves inside of Caden's head, and Caden's head can be a scary place to live.

It's important to understand as many other peoples' experiences as possible, and Neal Shusterman has revealed the internal life of one boy in the most loving and thoughtful portrayals of an interior life I've ever heard.

Other people have reviewed this already, and it's won awards, so I just want to give a shout-out to the incredibly well-performed audio edition. Everything feels very vital and immediate, the stress is palpable, fear and confusion well-portrayed without ever tipping into melodrama. This is perhaps the best audiobook I've ever listened to. Audiobook performances can vary wildly, but this audiobook is one that's worth the price of admission and the high cost of the concession stand.