EllaMc

The Witches of Eastwick
John Updike
Progress: 100/307 pages

We're Going to Need More Wine - Uneven but Still Good

We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True - Gabrielle Union

I think I would like to be friends with Gabrielle Union, though I doubt she has the time.

I'll be honest, as not too much of a social media or celebrity person, I wasn't entirely sure who she even was, but then I realized I'd seen her speeches on YouTube, and I had always liked what she had to say. So clearly I was in, if only I could get my hands on the darn book!

Finally a copy came in from the library. I forced myself to wait rather than purchasing. I don't have room for more one-read books. This is a one-time read for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't interesting or good.

Gabrielle Union is a smart lady. She's clear on things like being a stepmom, rape, being black in the USA, being a woman, trying to get pregnant, not having children of her own...

When Union is passionate, she writes extremely well. When she is dwelling on gossip, it lost the luster for me. I honestly don't care much about how hard it is to be in the public spotlight or how Hollywood doesn't treat older women well. Know what? The whole world doesn't treat older women well. Somehow I can't feel sorry for these celebs.

But when she writes from the heart: about the difficulty in coming to terms with aging or the trauma of assault and rape or any number of other topics, she soars.

As such, this is one of the most uneven books I can still recommend. Come for the laughs, stay for the depth.